Tuesday, February 12, 2008

S, how long until this gift drys up?

It's mostly never appropriate to quiz a gift-giver how much a certain gift cost them. Especially if it's you who received the gift. Closeness to the giver may make it possible to ask but be careful as the risk assumed is like reaching across a field of dead soldiers after you've had one too many. One slip and the wrath of the Hop Devil could come tumbling down upon thee--no matter the good intentions. Most gifts are a known entity. That is, you open it, you see it/feel it/taste it/touch it/sense it. You either love it or hate it, and that's that. If you want to know further about the gift you can look up the cost behind the giver's back (unless it's a hand-made one like my revered homebrew beer gifts--shameless plug inserted here). Over and done. Bye Bye Baby Bye Bye.

The reason I ask this is because my friend S gave me a magnificent gift for Christmas and I don't know when this gift is going to end. I'm lucky huh? A bottomless mug of beer if you will. But, why should I even care as long as it's a gift that keeps on giving? Well, for one I hope this gift never ends, but to receive the gift I need to be home when this gift arrives with a rap on my door around lunch-time, once a month. This gift requires me to sign, no not as in for-the-deaf but an actual signature proving that I am indeed the rightful recipient of said gift. How many gifts have you received that you have to sign for? I feel special. I am the recipient of a domestic microbrew beer of the month club if you haven't guessed it already.

I've decided not to ask S about the extent of this gift. She meant it to be a surprise on the day she gave it and then every month thereafter. That there's no stated end to this gift serves as a reminder of all that is good in the world and that maybe, just maybe, this gift goes on forever.

No comments: