Monday, March 23, 2009

Grandfather

I was out in the yard drinking in the detritus of a long winter and for no reason at all my thoughts wandered to my Grandfather D...

Oldsmobile, Toronado. Front wheel drive...in 1972...Er, in an American car?

It's a Friday night and we've gone to Dalo's in Berwick for their fantastic square pizza...Come back and park in the driveway and listen to the Phillies on AM radio...

Wake up Saturday morning and share the remaining pizza...

Summer day, hot as Hades--go to visit--where's Grandpa? He's down in the cellar (no basements back then, it's a cellar!). Lift the wooden cellar door, cool air hits me in the face as I descend--there he is! Sittn' on a chair, relaxing....Carling Black label man! Grammie didn't like him drink'n beer so he went in the cellar to drink...

Garage. 55 gallon drums--filled with empty broken Carling Black label bottles.

Wait! Did I really call him Grandfather or was it something else? Damn! I don't remember! It's really a shame that we forget those of our ancestors and the heritage they left in their wake in their short time here.

It was Grand Dad.

No comments: